A Video Game Mausoleum for Bashar al-Assad
Syrian president Bashar al-Assad is known to be a computer geek. He used to be chairman of the 'Syrian Computer Society' and opened up his country to the internet in 2001. In the face of the Arab Spring's general enthusiasm for online tools, Minecraft Mausoleum utilizes 'Minecraft' – an online building game – as context and medium to present a model of a Mausoleum for Syria's president Bashar al-Assad. A first model and rendering of the Mausoleum was presented in Aleppo, Syria in August 2010. The latest version has been produced with the support of Ibraaz and Lesley Heller Gallery.
How to play Minecraft Mausoleum
Video presentation of Minecraft Mausoleum
1. Go to https://minecraft.net/
2. Log in with you own Minecraft username and password or request a temporary username and password from: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Click sign in
4. Click play in your browser
(install/update or allow Java to run - F11 = full screen on/off)
5. Click multiplayer
6. Click direct connect
7. Enter server address (move cursor to empty tab and click first).
Copy and paste this IP address: sc9.servercraft.co:28377
8. Click join server
Don't worry if the 'disconnected by server' message appears: wait 30 seconds and click back to title screen and start again from step 4. Click multiplayer
9. Welcome to Minecraft Mausoleum.
Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks. At first, people built structures to protect against nocturnal monsters, but as the game grew, players worked together to create wonderful and imaginative things.
It can also be about adventuring with friends or watching the sun rise over a blocky ocean. It's pretty. Brave players battle terrible things in The Nether, which is more scary than pretty. You can also visit a land of mushrooms if it sounds more like your cup of tea.
10. You play by using mouse and control buttons – to find out more:
esc = game menu. Also: help helps
When in the game, menu click options and then controls to find out what buttons to use
11. When you're finished playing in game menu (esc) click disconnect
12. Don't forget to log out!